What is Retinol?
Retinol is one of the most common ingredients in all anti-aging (and even acne!) skincare products, like ever. It’s in the family tree of Vitamin A and has qualities that speed up skin cell recovery leaving skin feeling renewed and more youthful looking. A lot of products that contain retinol typically causes your skin to dry or peel, swapping old skin cells for new ones.
And if I could put my dermatologist hat on for one second…
Retinoids include: retinol, Retinyl palmitate, retinyl acetate, retinyl linoleate, retinyl propionate, and the fun-to-pronounce hydroxy pinacolone retinoate. Whew…
When retinoids – including naturally derived ones popular in cleaner skincare lines – are used on the skin, they convert to retinoic acid. Prescription-based products (like Retin-A and Tretinoin) are synthetic forms of retinoic acid.
Sounds great, right? Well, not exactly.
The continuous use of retinol can have some pretty harsh long-term effects on your skin – especially for those who have sensitive skin. Harmful side effects include skin irritation and ultimately stripping the skin from being able to protect against the sun’s harmful UV rays. In fact, Canada and the EU have restricted the use of retinol in their beauty products for these reasons. Furthermore, Beautycounter has included retinol and retinyl palmitate on their Never List, which is a list of the thousands of toxic and harmful ingredients they pledge to never use in their beauty products – ever.
Beautycounter’s Countertime regimen using natural, safe ingredients.
What makes Beautycounter‘s Countertime regimen stand out from the crowd in the anti-aging industry is the development of their Retinatural Complex. Two leading ingredients are the highlights of what makes this line so powerful: Bakuchiol and Swiss Alpine Rose.
Bakuchiol | an ancient Asian skincare remedy that provides many of retinol’s skin benefits without the irritation and sensitivity.
Swiss Alpine Rose | this flower is known for it’s ability to protect itself from environmental stressors. Is used to boost our skin’s antioxidant defense.
What is the BC Retrinatural Complex?
This complex developed by Beautycounter is plant-derived and is designed to naturally and visibly firm, brighten, and plump your skin without the use of harsh synthetic chemicals and ingredients.
A Peek: The Countertime Collection
- Lipid Defense Cleansing Oil | a lightweight cleansing oil that gently removes makeup and other impurities without stripping essential lipids from the skin.
- Mineral Boost Hydrating Essence | a milky moisturizer that boosts hydration and radiance by putting nutrients back into our skin’s moisture barrier.
- Tripeptide Radiance Serum | a serum that increases skin firmness and elasticity while reducing the look of fine lines and wrinkles. This is a great starting place if you’re not ready to jump into the complete collection just yet!
- Antioxidant Soft Cream (AM)| another great moisturizer that not only hydrates but also protects from environmental stressors. Use as a morning moisturizer – ready for the day ahead!
- Tetrapeptide Supreme Cream (PM)| a great nighttime moisturizer that smooths skin and minimizes the look of wrinkles and fine lines.
- I still love my Overnight Resurfacing Peel and will swap this out once every few days!
- Ultra Renewal Eye Cream | a high-performance eye cream that that reduces the look of dark circles under the eye and crow’s feet.
Safer more sustainable packaging
To make an even bigger effort to cut down on the use of plastics and unnecessary waste, Beautycounter is beginning to make the transition to using glass packaging! Countertime is their first complete line using only glass and this new packaging not only cuts down on their carbon footprint, but overall they’re really making a consistent effort to source organically and keep sustainability at the forefront. It’s one of the many reasons I really love the company and being a part of the team.
But don’t just take my word for it…
There are so many reasons I personally have enjoyed Beautycounter – from their mission of providing safer beauty products without sacrificing quality or sustainability. And the biggest, most important, thing: they actually work! That’s what makes me so excited to share Countertime with all of my friends and family. This new line completely changes the game and highlights the safer alternatives to using retinol – and why other beauty companies need to get on board with this shift. But, don’t just take my word for it. Here’s what others are saying about this new regimen…
- Bustle: Beautycounter Bans the Term “Anti-Aging” and Debuts New Skincare Line
- InStyle: This Ingredient Might Be the Natural Alternative to Retinol
- Cosmopolitan‘s List of 9 Best Natural Face Moisturizers, #9 featuring Countertime’s Antioxidant Soft Cream
- Fast Company: Your Anti-Aging Regimen Might Be Toxic. This Brand Found a Safe Alternative
Read my other Beautycounter posts here!